Monday, September 14, 2009

"I got" my nickles!

As I posted earlier, saying "I got" at auction school is a SIN! Thankfully today I was able to eliminate it from my bid call. From now on, everytime we say "I got" in our bid call, we owe the school 5 cents. I'm just hoping they take American Express because before this week's out I'm going to rack up some frequent flyer miles!

Another great day at school. We were warned that when our instructor Paul Behr ran the "Daily Dozen Drills" we needed to be prepared to pick-up the pace. Daily Dozen Drills are done first thing in the morning and right after lunch. We practice tongue twisters and number drills to prepare for the practice ahead. Their warnings weren't strong enough! I don't care what people say, I think I have a valid excuse that the elevation here in Colorado is the reason why I'm gasping for air and turning blue when I do Daily Dozen Drills!

Great bid calling instructors today: John Korrey and Ronnie Woodward. Legends in the profession and outstanding instructors!

Tonight's instructors were equally impressive with Steven Hunt lecturing on real estate auctions and Carolyn and Allison Baker presenting on antiques, art and collectibles.

Lesson Learned: If in need of cash, sell your girlfriends Waterford glass collection! ;-)

What do aspiring auctioneers do when released from a classroom after 8 hours of work?

Answer: Head to the nearest Mexican restaurant. Sing a few karaoke ballads. Watch fellow classmates like our buddy Steve from Canada (17 time National Karate Champion!), teach/demonstrate/practice his submission tactics on fellow classmates. And...auctioning off a young women celebrating at her bachelorette party! Next question: What's the buyer's premium on a blushing bride-to-be?